Friday, March 21, 2014

Blooming Diary - Crocus!

I'm not much of a gardener at all, but i do appreciate the beauty of flowers very much and for several years, I've wanted to keep a "blooming diary" to record when various flowers bloom in my area (Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky). So this is my first entry for 2014...let's see how long I can keep at it :).

It's been such a long, hard winter for so many of us, so I was very happy to see the Crocus blooming in my front yard this week. I first spotted them on St. Patrick's Day, so that's the date I'm "officially" recording.

Have you seen anything flowering in your yard yet?



Crocus is a genus of flowering plants in the iris family comprising 90 species of perennials growing from corms. Many are cultivated for their flowers appearing in autumn, winter, or spring.
  • Scientific name: Crocus
  • Rank: Genus
  • Higher classification: Crocoideae
  • Lower classifications: Crocus ligusticus, Crocus flavus, Crocus tommasinianus, Crocus sieberi, Saffron, Crocus vernus, Crocus chrysanthus, Crocus banaticus, Crocus cartwrightianus
  • 2 comments: